Patrick Gregory and Lincoln Mitchell, Enlightened Abandonment, InLight 2010, photo by Terry Brown
1708 Gallery invites national and international artists working in all media and disciplines, including performance, to submit proposals for 1708 Gallery's 10th annual, InLight Richmond.
InLight 2017 will take place on Friday, November 3, 2017, from 7pm to midnight, in the City’s Arts and Culture District. InLight is a public exhibition of contemporary light-based artworks—videos and projections, multi-media and interactive projects, sculptures, installations, performances and a Community Lantern Parade.
InLight 2017 will take as its inspiration the Electric Carnival, a street festival that enlivened Broad Street in 1901. The Electrical Carnival featured a replica of the Eiffel Tower that was illuminated remotely by President Roosevelt via a telegraph key from the White House.
Proposals for InLight 2017 should involve, be inspired by, investigate, or interpret themes of light, from light as medium to light as concept. While existing work will be considered, 1708 Gallery encourages artists to propose projects that consider themes central to the Electric Carnival— technology, globalism, carnivals.
Potential sites for installations and performances include pathways, façades and other walls, sidewalks, green spaces, trees, and more. In addition, a limited number of interior sites may be available. Artists may propose a specific site for both pre-existing and site-responsive works. Please indicate if your work is site-specific on your entry form. 1708 Gallery reserves the right to make final site assignments.
Images of the potential sites for installations can be viewed HERE.
HOW TO APPLY
All proposals are submitted online HERE.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Midnight (EST), Friday, July 31, 2017
Application fee is $30 and supports exhibition costs including juror stipend and artists honoraria.
- • How the project relates to the theme of light
- • How the project relates to the site
- • The feasibility of the project logistically and financially
- • Projects that are responsive to the Electric Carnival— technology, globalism, carnivals, are strongly encouraged
$1500 Best in Show Award - to be selected by the juror
$500 People's Choice Award - to be selected by InLight audience
The juror for InLight Richmond 2017 is Nat Trotman, Curator of Performance and Media at the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum.
SELECTED ARTISTS RECEIVE
- • An honorarium of $500 per project
- • Significant production and technical support on a case-by-case basis. 1708 Gallery works with a production company to produce and oversee technical aspects of the exhibition.
- • Access to the site, technical consultation, technical equipment when available, and installation support
- • Recognition and inclusion in all InLight Richmond media
SELECTED ARTIST GUIDELINES
- Artists are responsible for the installation and removal of artwork before and after exhibition.
- If you can not be present you must ship your work and provide detailed installation requirements along with unpacking/packing directions.
- Additional insurance coverage (1708 will provide basic insurance) may be required, to be determined in consultation with 1708 Gallery.
- All projects must be installed in a safe manner, and abide by all by-laws, laws, and safety standards, to be assessed and evaluated in consultation with 1708 Gallery (for example, electrical wiring must meet electrical safety standards).
- Artists grant permission to 1708 Gallery to reproduce entries for the purposes of publicity and education unless otherwise noted on the entry form. Please include photo credit where it differs from the artist's name.
July 31, 2017 Deadline for submissions
September 1, 2017 Artists will be notified
October 25, 2017 If shipping, artwork must be received by this date
October 30 - November 3, 2017 Installation week - typically installation happens the day of InLight, special circumstances will be considered
November 3, 2017 InLight Richmond
Please contact the 1708 Gallery staff by calling (804) 643-1708 or by emailing email@example.com.