1708 Gallery invites national and international artists working in all media and disciplines (including performance) to submit proposals for InLight Richmond 2015, 1708 Gallery's 8th annual one-night, public exhibition of light-based art and performance.
Proposals for InLight Richmond 2015 should involve, be inspired by, investigate, or interpret themes of light, from light as medium to light as concept. (Existing work, as well as proposals for new projects, will be considered.) 1708 Gallery also encourages artists to propose projects that respond directly to the site.
InLight Richmond 2015 will take place on the grounds of the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts including the E. Claiborne and Lora Robins Sculpture Garden. Potential sites for installations and performances include pathways, walls, sidewalks, green spaces, trees, benches, building facades, and more. You may propose a specific site for both pre-existing and site-responsive works. Please indicate if your work is site-specific on your entry form. 1708 Gallery reserves the right to make final assignments.
Images of the potential sites for installations can be viewed HERE.
HOW TO APPLY
All proposals are submitted online HERE.
DEADLINE: Midnight (EST), Sunday, May 31, 2015
Application fee is $30 and supports exhibition costs including Juror stipend and artist honoraria.
- • How the project relates to the theme of light
- • How the project relates to the VMFA sculpture garden and grounds
- • The feasibility of the project logistically and financially
- • Projects that are responsive are strongly encouraged
$1500 Best in Show Award - to be selected by the juror
$500 People's Choice Award - to be selected by InLight attendees
The juror for InLight Richmond 2015 is Alex Baker, Director at Philadelphia's Fleisher/Ollman Gallery.
SELECTED ARTISTS RECEIVE
- • An honorarium of $300 per project
- • Significant production and technical support on a case-by-case basis
- • Access to the site, technical consultation, technical equipment when available, and installation support
- • Recognition and inclusion in all InLight Richmond media
SELECTED ARTIST GUIDELINES
- Artists are responsible for the installation and removal of artwork before and after exhibition.
- If you can not be present you must ship your work and provide detailed installation requirements along with unpacking/packing directions.
- Additional insurance coverage (1708 will provide basic insurance) may be required, to be determined in consultation with 1708 Gallery.
- All projects must be installed in a safe manner, and abide by all by-laws, laws, and safety standards, to be assessed and evaluated in consultation with 1708 Gallery (for example, electrical wiring must meet electrical safety standards).
- Artists grant permission to 1708 Gallery to reproduce entries for the purposes of publicity and education unless otherwise noted on the entry form. Please include photo credit where it differs from the artist's name.
May 31, 2015 Deadline for submissions
August 1, 2015 Artists will be notified
September 1, 2015 Participating artists will be announced
October 31, 2015 If shipping, artwork must be received by this date
November 9 - 13, 2015 Installation week - typically installation happens the day of InLight, special circumstances will be considered
November 13, 2015 InLight Richmond
As of the writing of this document, the scope of InLight Richmond 2015 and budget are being refined. 1708 Gallery reserves the right to cancel or amend any or all of the scopes and budgets referenced in this document.
Please contact the 1708 Gallery staff by calling (804) 643-1708 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.