Patrick Gregory and Lincoln Mitchell, Enlightened Abandonment, InLight 2010, photo by Terry Brown
1708 Gallery invites national and international artists working in all media and disciplines, including performance, to submit proposals for InLight Richmond 2016, 1708 Gallery's 9th annual public exhibition of light-based art and performance.
Proposals for InLight Richmond 2016 should involve, be inspired by, investigate, or interpret themes of light, from light as medium to light as concept. 1708 Gallery especially encourages artists to propose projects that respond directly to the site, although existing work will be considered.
InLight Richmond 2016 will take place in Scott’s Addition. Potential sites for installations and performances include pathways, façades and other walls, sidewalks, green spaces, trees, and more. In addition, a limited number of interior sites may be available. Artists may propose a specific site for both pre-existing and site-responsive works. Please indicate if your work is site-specific on your entry form. 1708 Gallery reserves the right to make final site assignments.
Images of the potential sites for installations can be viewed HERE.
HOW TO APPLY
All proposals are submitted online HERE.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: Midnight (EST), Friday, July 15, 2016
Application fee is $30 and supports exhibition costs including juror stipend and artists honoraria.
- • How the project relates to the theme of light
- • How the project relates to Scott's Addition
- • The feasibility of the project logistically and financially
- • Projects that are responsive to the site and Scott's Addition are strongly encouraged
$1500 Best in Show Award - to be selected by the juror
$500 People's Choice Award - to be selected by InLight audience
The juror for InLight Richmond 2016 is Ellina Kevorkian, Artistic Director of Residency Programs at Bemis Center for Contemporary Art.
SELECTED ARTISTS RECEIVE
- • An honorarium of $500 per project
- • Significant production and technical support on a case-by-case basis. 1708 Gallery works with a production company to produce and oversee technical aspects of the exhibition.
- • Access to the site, technical consultation, technical equipment when available, and installation support
- • Recognition and inclusion in all InLight Richmond media
SELECTED ARTIST GUIDELINES
- Artists are responsible for the installation and removal of artwork before and after exhibition.
- If you can not be present you must ship your work and provide detailed installation requirements along with unpacking/packing directions.
- Additional insurance coverage (1708 will provide basic insurance) may be required, to be determined in consultation with 1708 Gallery.
- All projects must be installed in a safe manner, and abide by all by-laws, laws, and safety standards, to be assessed and evaluated in consultation with 1708 Gallery (for example, electrical wiring must meet electrical safety standards).
- Artists grant permission to 1708 Gallery to reproduce entries for the purposes of publicity and education unless otherwise noted on the entry form. Please include photo credit where it differs from the artist's name.
July 15, 2016 Deadline for submissions
August 15, 2016 Artists will be notified
September 1, 2016 Participating artists will be announced
October 31, 2016 If shipping, artwork must be received by this date
November 7 - 11, 2016 Installation week - typically installation happens the day of InLight, special circumstances will be considered
November 11, 2016 InLight Richmond
Please contact the 1708 Gallery staff by calling (804) 643-1708 or by emailing email@example.com.