1708 Gallery invites national and international artists working in all media and disciplines, including performance, to submit proposals for InLight Richmond 2014, 1708 Gallery's 7th annual one-night, public exhibition of light-based art and performance.
Proposals for InLight Richmond 2014 should involve, be inspired by, investigate, or interpret themes of light, from light as medium to light as concept. Existing work, as well as proposals for new projects, will be considered. 1708 Gallery encourages artists to propose projects that respond directly to the site or are environmentally conscious.
InLight Richmond 2014 will take place in Monroe Park, one of Richmond's most historically significant public spaces. Potential sites for installations and performances include pathways, walls, sidewalks, green spaces, trees, benches, building facades, and more. Images of the potential sites for installations can be viewed HERE. You may propose a specific site for both pre-existing and site-responsive works. Please indicate if your work is site-specific on your entry form. 1708 Gallery reserves the right to make final assignments.
HOW TO APPLY
All proposals are submitted online HERE.
EXTENDED DEADLINE: midnight (EST), Sunday, July 20, 2014
Application fee is $30 and covers the cost of bringing a nationally recongized curator to jury the exhibition.
- How the project relates to the theme of light
- How the project relates to the specified InLight Richmond site
- The feasibility of the project logistically and financially
- Projects that are site specific, interactive, collaborative, and/or environmentally conscious are strongly encouraged
- $1500 Best in Show Award - to be selected by the juror
- $1000 Most Environmentally Conscious - to be selected by juror
- $500 People's Choice Award - to be selected by InLight attendees
The juror for InLight Richmond 2014 is Denise Markonish, Curator at Mass MoCA.
SELECTED ARTISTS RECEIVE
- An honorarium of $300 per project will be provided
- For InLight, 1708 works with a production company and will provide high-end video projectors, as well as other technical support on a case-by-case basis
- Recognition and inclusion in all InLight Richmond media
- 1708 Gallery will provide access to the site, technical consultation, technical equipment when available, and installation support
SELECTED ARTIST GUIDELINES
- Artists are responsible for the installation and removal of artwork before and after exhibition.
- Artists will either deliver or mail their work in time for InLight Richmond. Artists that ship their work must provide detailed installation requirements along with unpacking/packing directions.
- Additional insurance coverage (1708 will provide basic insurance) may be required, to be determined in consultation with 1708 Gallery.
- All projects must be installed in a safe manner, and abide by all by-laws, laws, and safety standards, to be assessed and evaluated in consultation with 1708 Gallery (for example, electrical wiring must meet electrical safety standards).
- Artists grants permission to 1708 Gallery to reproduce entries for the purposes of publicity and education unless otherwise noted on the entry form. Please include photo credit where it differs from the artist's name.
- July 20, 2014
- EXTENDED deadline for submissions
- August 1, 2014
- Artists will be notified
- September 1, 2014
- Participating artists will be announced
- October 31, 2014
- Artwork must be received by this date
- November 17 - 21, 2014
- Installation week
- November 21, 2014
- Inlight Richmond
As of the writing of this document, the scope of InLight Richmond 2014 and budget are being refined. 1708 Gallery reserves the right to cancel or amend any or all of the scopes and budgets referenced in this document.
Please contact the 1708 Gallery staff by calling (804) 643-1708 or by emailing email@example.com.